Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I.
Born: January 16, 1937
Entered Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate: August 14, 1957
Ordained a Priest: December 21, 1963
Appointed as Fifth Bishop of Yakima: July 10, 1990
Ordained and Installed as Bishop: September 21, 1990
Appointed as Ninth Archbishop of Portland in Oregon: April 30, 1996
Installed as Archbishop: May 27, 1996
Appointed as Eighth Archbishop of Chicago: April 8, 1997
Installed as Archbishop: May 7, 1997
Named Cardinal by Pope John Paul II: January 18,1998
Created Cardinal Priest in Consistory: February 21, 1998
- Member, Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, 1998 to
- Member, Congregation for Evangelization of Peoples, 1999 to present.
- Member, Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and for Societies of Apostolic Life,
1998 to present.
- Member, Congregation for Oriental Churches, 2001 to present.
- Member, Pontifical Council “Cor Unum,” 1998 to present.
- Member, Pontifical Council for Culture, 2004 to present.
- Member, Pontifical Council for the Study of the Organizational and Economic Problems of the
Holy See, 2010 to present.
- Member, Vox Clara, 2002 to present.
- Chancellor, The Catholic Church Extension Society, Chicago, Illinois, 1997 to present.
- Chancellor, University of St. Mary of the Lake, Mundelein, Illinois, 1997 to present.
- Publisher, The Catholic New World, Chicago Catόlico, 1997 to present.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Divine Worship, 2010 to present.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis,
2011 to present.
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Doctrine, 2004 to present.
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Pro-Life Activities, 1999 to
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops ad hoc Committee on Religious Liberty, 2011 to
- Member, Board of Trustees, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception,
1997 to present.
- Member, Board of Directors, National Catholic Bioethics Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
1994 to present.
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Catholic University of America, 1993 to present.
- Ecclesial Advisor, ITEST (Institute for Theological Encounter with Science and Technology),
St. Louis, Missouri, 2011 to present.
- Episcopal Liaison, Ministry of Transportation Chaplains, 2003 to present.
- Trustee of the Papal Foundation, 1997 to present.
- Grand Prior of the North Central Lieutenancy of the United States for the Equestrian Order of
the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, 1997 to present.
- Conventual Chaplain ad honorem of the Federal Association of the Sovereign Military Order of
Malta, 1997 to present.
- Member, Chicago Bible Society Advisory Board, 2002 to present.
- Member, Kohl McCormick Early Childhood Teaching Awards Advisory Board, 1997 to present.
Previous USCCB Posts
- President, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2007-2010.
- Vice-President, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2004-2007.
- Chair, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Liturgy, 2001-2004.
- Chair, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis,
- Chair, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Commission for Bishops and Scholars, 1992-1994.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Liturgy, 2004-2010.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Administrative Committee, 2001-2011.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops ad hoc Committee to Oversee the Use of the
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee, American Board of Catholic Missions,
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Church in Latin America, 1994-
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Religious Life and Ministry, 1994-
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Doctrine, 1991-94, 1996-2001.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on World Missions, 1999-2002.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Subcommittee on Campus Ministry, 1997-2003.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops ad hoc Committee on Shrines, 1992-2008.
- Member, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Missions, 1991-1998.
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Evangelization, 1991-1993.
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on African American Catholics,
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Subcommittee on Lay Ministry, 2003-2010.
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Liturgy, 1997-2001.
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Science and Human Values,
- Consultant, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Hispanic Affairs, 1994-1997.
- Delegate, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, World Synod of Bishops, 2008, 2001.
- Delegate, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Special Assembly for America of the Synod of
- USCCB Representative to International Commission on English in the Liturgy, 1997-2006.
- Publisher, Katolik, 2006-2013.
- Member, Council for World Synod of Bishops, 2001-2004, 2008-2012.
- Member, Pontifical Commission for the Cultural Heritage of the Church, 1999-2011.
- Episcopal Liaison, Catholic Campus Ministry Association Executive Board, 1998-2003.
- Special Secretary, Special Assembly for America of the Synod of Bishops, 1997.
- Papal Appointee to the Synod on Consecrated Life, 1994.
- Treasurer, Northwest Regional Office for Hispanic Affairs, 1992-1997.
- Episcopal Advisor, Cursillo Movement, Region XII, 1990-1997.
- Episcopal Liaison, Pontifical Mission Societies in the United States, 2011-2013.
- Episcopal Moderator and Member of Board, National Catholic Office for Persons with
- State Chaplain, Knights of Columbus, Washington State, 1993-1995.
- Member, Board of Directors, Oblate Media, Belleville, Illinois, 1988-1997.
- Member, Providence Yakima Medical Center Community Board, Yakima, Washington, 1990-
- Chair, Washington Association of Churches Committee on Theological Dialogue, 1993-1996.
- Coordinator, Circle of Fellows, The Cambridge Center for the Study of Faith and Culture,
Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1987-1990.
- Vicar General, Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Rome, Italy, 1974-1986.
- Provincial Superior, Midwestern U.S. Province, Oblates of Mary Immaculate, St. Paul,
- President, Board of Directors, Tekakwitha Indian Mission, Sisseton, South Dakota, 1973-1974.
- Chairman, Department of Philosophy, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, and Member
Of the Executive Committee of the Academic Council of the University, 1971-1973.
- Member, Council of Direction, Oblate House of Studies, Omaha, Nebraska, and Assistant
Professor of Philosophy, Creighton University, 1969-1973.
- Member, Council of Direction, and Instructor in Philosophy, Oblate Seminary, Pass Christian,
- Oblate Seminary, Pass Christian, Mississippi, 1994-1997 (Instructor in Philosophy)
- Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, Texas, 1965 (summer, Visiting Instructor in
- Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1968-1969 (Teaching Fellow in Philosophy)
- Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, 1969-1973 (Assistant Professor of Philosophy)
- Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington, 1993 (summer, Visiting Professor of Religious
- S.T.D. (Ecclesiology), Pontifical Urban University, Rome, 1988
- Ph.D. (American philosophy), Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1970
- M.A. (Theology), University of Ottawa, Canada, 1971
- M.A. (Philosophy), The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., 1965
- B.Th. University of Ottawa, Canada, 1964
- University of Portland - Doctor of Laws, 1997
- John Marshall Law School - Doctor of Laws, 1998
- Loyola University of Chicago – Doctor of Humane Letters, 1998
- Franciscan University of Steubenville - Doctor of Pedagogy, 2000
- Barat College – Doctor of Humane Letters, 2000
- Creighton University – Doctor of Laws, 2001
- Saint Xavier University – Doctor of Humane Letters, 2004
- University of Saint Mary of the Lake – Doctor of Sacred Theology, 2007
- Ave Maria University – Doctor of Humane Letters, 2010
- St. Norbert College, - Doctor of Laws, 2012
- Catholic Theological Union – Doctor of Theology, 2014
- Lewis University – Doctor of Humanities, 2014
- American Catholic Philosophical Association
- American Society of Missiologists
- Catholic Commission on Intellectual and Cultural Affairs
AWARDS AND GRANTS
- Outstanding Educator of America, 1972 and 1973.
- The American Council for Philosophical Studies, research grant, 1973.
- Flannery Lecture, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington, “1492-1992: A Church Catholic and
- Native to the Americas,” February 19, 1992.
- American Catholic Philosophical Association Convention, San Diego, California; plenary address,
“Being Through Others in Christ: esse per and ecclesial communion,” March 28, 1992.
- Sword of Loyola, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, November 20, 2009.
- NCEA Elizabeth Ann Seton Award, National Catholic Educational Association, October 3, 2011.
- Relevant Radio, Christ Brings Hope Award, October 12, 2011.
- Maryville Guardian Medallion, Maryville Academy, March 3, 2012.
RESEARCH AND PUBLISHED WRITINGS
- Inculturation and Ecclesial Communion (Rome: Urbaniana University Press, 1990).
- The Difference God Makes: A Catholic Vision of Faith, Communion, and Culture (New York:
The Crossroad Publishing Company, 2009).
- God In Action: How Faith in God Can Address the Challenges of the World (New York:
Doubleday Religion, 2011).
Contributions to Books:
- “Evangelizing American Culture,” chapter in The New Catholic Evangelization, ed. by Kenneth
Boyack, C.S.P. (Mahwah, N.Y.: Paulist Press, 1992), 42-55.
- “The Church and Cultures,” chapter in A Church for All Peoples, ed. by Eugene LaVerdiere,
(Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1993), 55-70.
- Response to “The Church and the Kingdom” by Avery Dulles, S.J., chapter in A Church for All Peoples, ed. by Eugene LaVerdiere (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1993), 27-30.
- “Bishops and the Splendor of Truth,” chapter in The Splendor of Truth and Health Care, ed. by
Russell E. Smith (The Pope John XXIII Medical-Moral Research and Education Center,
Braintree, MA, 1995), 17-28.
- “Missionaries and Native Peoples of North America: Lessons for the Church Today,” Faith, Moral Reasoning and Contemporary American Life, 1995, 137-149.
- “Justice,” Dictionnaire des Valeurs Oblates, sous la direction de Fabio Ciardi, Rome, 1996, 498-
- “Bishops and Theologians,” chapter in Theological Education in the Catholic Tradition: Contemporary Challenges, ed. by Patrick W. Carey and Earl C. Muller, S.J. (New York,
NY: The Crossroad Publishing Company, 1997), 213-218.
- “Knowledge of God,” in Encyclopedia of Catholic Doctrine, ed. by Russell Shaw (Huntington, IN:
Our Sunday Visitor, 1997), 365-367.
- “Commemorating Sacrosanctum Concilium Anniversary Address: The Foundations of Liturgical
Reform,” Cardinal Reflections: Active Participation and the Liturgy (Liturgy Training
Publications, 2005), 45-57.
“The Parish in the Mission of the Church,” chapter in What is a Parish? Canonical, Pastoral and Theological Perspectives, ed. by Thomas A. Baima (Chicago, Hillenbrand Books, 2011), 18-38.
- “Lay Ecclesial Ministry,” In the Name of the Church: Vocation and Authorization of Lay Ecclesial Ministry (The Liturgical Press, 2012), 141-151.
- “Catholics, Jews and American Culture,” chapter in A Legacy of Catholic-Jewish Dialogue: The Joseph Cardinal Bernardin Jerusalem Lectures, ed. by Thomas A. Baima (Chicago: LTP, 2012),
- “Continuity in Change: Catholicism and American Culture,” Catholicism and America – Challenges and Prospects, ed. by Rev. Matthew L. Lamb (Sapientia Press at Ave Maria
University, 2012), 3-19.
- The Metaphysical Constitution of Creatures in Thomas Aquinas’ De Potentia Dei, master’s thesis in
philosophy (Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.).
- The Eschatology of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, master’s thesis in theology (University of Ottawa,
- Society and Experience: a Critique of the Social Philosophies of Josiah Royce, George Herbert
Mead and Roy Wood Sellars, doctoral dissertation in philosophy, directed by Andrew J. Reck
(Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana).
- “Becoming an Evangelizing People” – a pastoral letter on evangelization, November 21, 1997.
- “Dwell in My Love” – a pastoral letter on racism, April 4, 2001.
- “Dewey and Dialectic,” Tulane Studies in Philosophy, XXII, Winter, 1973, 17-38.
- “The Founder’s Charism,” Vie Oblate, XXXIV, 1975, 111-126.
- “Founding ‘Founderology’: Charism and Hermeneutics,” Review for Religious, XXXVI, January,
- “Criteres pour decouvrir et vivre le charisme du Fondateur audjourd’hui,” Vie Oblate, XXXVI,
- “The Ongoing Formation of Missionaries,” Vie Oblate, XXXVIII, 1979, 93-107.
- “Missions and Ministry for Justice: the OMI Experience,” Omnis Terra, XIII, April, 1979, 160-
- “Missions and Ministry for Justice,” Vie Oblate, XXXIX, 1980, 105-123.
“La Formazione Permanente e il Cammino verso Cristo,” Temi di Formazione e Pastorale, III,
September, 1980, 1-6.
- “The New Oblate Constitutions: Mirror of a Congregation,” SEDOS Bulletin, November 1, 1981,
- “L’evangelisation et les Chapitres generaux de 1972 a 1980,” Vie Oblate, XLII, 1983, 284-305.
- “La vida religiosa: palabra para el mudo de hoy,” Vida religiosa, LIX, 1 febrero, 1985, 44-51.
- “The Process of Inculturation: Steps, Rules, Problems,” Kerygma, XXII (1988), 93-113.
“Ecclesiological Presuppositions in Inculturating the Faith: Three Examples from Mission
History,” Neue Zeitschrift fur Missionswissenschaft, XLV (1989), 256-264.
- “Oblate Preaching: Father Louis Soullier’s Letter of February 17, 1895,” Vie Oblate, December,
- “Priestly Identity and the Mission of Christ,” The Priest, XLV, November, 1989, 44-48.
- “The Catholic University and Academic Culture,” Proceedings: Present and Future Challenges Facing Catholic Universities (Ottawa, 1990), 37-42.
- “Evangelizing American Culture,” The Catholic World, id. 235, no. 1408, July/August, 1992,
- Published talks and conferences in Oblate Documentation, from 1973 to 1989.
- Being Through Others in Christ: esse per and Ecclesial Communion,” Annual ACPA Proceedings, 1992, 29-44.
- “Teaching Moral Theology in the Light of the Dialogical Framework of ‘Veritatis Splendor’,” Seminarium, XXXIV, January-March, 1994, 43-51.
- “The Bishop and his Deacons: Reflection on the Directory for Deacons,” Sacrum Ministerium, IV, January, 1998, 45-53.
- “Education in Love: The Interior Culture of the Person,” Anthropotes, 1998, 179-183.
- “Authority, Service, and Communion,” Lay Witness, 1999, 46-47.
- “Episcopal Conferences: Theological Bases,” Communio, 1999, 393-409.
- “Institutional Conversion at the Turn of the Century,” Seminarium, XXXIX, 1999, 135-147.
- “Biotechnology and Some Theological Thoughts on the Body,” The Genome: Plant, Animal, Human, 2000, 179-190.
- “A New Evangelization in a New Millennium: A Call for A New Apologetics,” Lay Witness, 2000, 4-5.
- “Uno Dio e una Chiesa per il mondo: commemorazione del decimo anniversario della Redemptoris Missio,” A Dieci Anni dall’Enciclica Redemptoris Missio, 2001, 135-159.
- “The Significance of Vatican II,” Communio, 2012, 14-32.
Cardinal’s Column – Cardinal George writes a column for The Catholic New World and Chicago Catόlico, the official newspapers of the Archdiocese. His column is also translated into
Polish and posted on the Archdiocesan website and printed in The Catholic New World.
- Review of Donald P. Gray, The One and the Many: Teilhard de Chardin’s Vision of Unity; in Modern Schoolman, XLIX (1971).
- Reviews of Denis Goulet, A New Moral Order: Development Ethics and Liberation Theology and
Brian Wren, Education for Justice: Pedagogical Principles; in SEDOS Bulletin, February 15,
Reviews of Richard Turner, The Eye of the Needle: Toward Participatory Democracy in South Africa and John W. de Gruchy, The Church Struggle in South Africa; in SEDOS Bulletin, March
- Review of Antonio Perez-Esclarin, Atheism and Liberation and The Challenge of Basic Christian Communities (Papers from the International Ecumenical Congress of Theology, 1980,
Sao Paolo, Brazil), ed. by Sergio Torres and John Eagleson; in Bibliographia Missionaria, XLV
- Review of Ninian Smart, Beyond Ideology: Religion and the Future of Western Civilization; in The Australasian Catholic Record, LXII (1985).
- Review of Robert J. Schreiter, Constructing Local Theologies; in The Australasian Catholic Record, LXIII (1986).
- Review of John M. Letiche and Basil Dmytryshyn, Russian Statecraft. The “Politika” of Iurii Krizhanich: An Analysis and Translation of Iurii Krizhanich’s “Politika,” in Euntes Docete,
- Review of Achiel Peelman, L’Inculturation: L’Eglise et les Cultures; in Bibliografia Missionaria, LIII (1989).
- Review of Louis J. Luzbetak, The Church and Culture: New Perspectives in Missiological Anthropology; in The Australasian Catholic Record, LXVII (1990).
- Review of Michael Barnes, Christian Identity and Religious Pluralism: Religious in Conversation; in Review for Religious, LI (1992).
- Review of John J. Killoren, S.J., Come, Blackrobe: DeSmet and the Indian Tragedy; in Review for Religious, LIII (1994).
- Review of Sebastian Karotemprel, editor, Following Christ in Mission: A Foundational Course in Missiology; in International Bulletin of Missionary Research (1997).
Updated April, 2014