CHICAGO PARISHES ONLY
The water fee exemption for Chicago not-for-profits has been reinstated as of 1/1/13. Your parish will qualify for the exemption in one of the following tiers:
- Under $1M in assets annually = 100% exemption
- $1M - $10M in assets annually = 60% exemption
- $10M - $250M in assets annually = 25% exemption
- Over $250M in assets annually = No exemption
Per our agreement with the City, building and land values will be removed from your total assets.
The Real Estate Department will manage the exemption process for Archdiocese water accounts. If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Shankie at 312.534.8791 or email@example.com.
The details of the exemption are as follows:
- You will be responsible for a discounted water bill for the period of 1/1/12 - 12/31/12. The City of
Chicago Department of Water Management is currently revising bills to reflect the correct outstanding
balances for this period. When you receive your bill(s), please forward them to my attention at 835 N.
Rush St., Chicago, IL 60611 or via fax to 312.534.8392. The Real Estate Department will attempt to settle
these bills with the City. We will make a payment on your behalf and bill you accordingly. We will advise
you of the amount of these payments as soon as we are able.
- Your water accounts must be metered to receive the exemption. If you have an account that is not
metered, please contact Jennifer Shankie at 312.534.8791 as soon as possible.
- Your parish must enter into a water conservation plan. The Real Estate Office will work with Archdiocese
parishes to implement a conservation plan. The Interfaith Coalition to Restore the Water Fee Exemption
for Religious Institutions is in the process of preparing a conservation plan for distribution to all
The City is expected to send out the Exemption Application to all not-for-profit organizations on or near December 10, 2013.
The City is expected to send out revised 2012 bills to all not-for-profit organizations sometime in the first two weeks of December 2013.