CHICAGO PARISHES ONLY
The water fee exemption for Chicago not-for-profits has been reinstated as of 1/1/13. Your parish will qualify for the exemption in one of the following tiers:
- Under $1M in assets annually = 100% exemption
- $1M - $10M in assets annually = 60% exemption
- $10M - $250M in assets annually = 25% exemption
- Over $250M in assets annually = No exemption
Per our agreement with the City, building and land values will be removed from your total assets.
THE REAL ESTATE DEPARTMENT WILL COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FORM ON BEHALF OF ARCHDIOCESAN PARISHES. YOU DO NOT NEED TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION THAT YOU RECEIVE FROM THE CITY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO FORWARD THE FORM TO THE REAL ESTATE DEPARTMENT. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT JENNIFER SHANKIE AT 312.534.8791 OR JSHANKIE@ARCHCHICAGO.ORG.
The details of the exemption are as follows:
- You will be responsible for a discounted water bill for the period of 1/1/12 - 12/31/12. The City of Chicago Department of Water Management is currently revising bills to reflect the correct outstanding balances for this period. When you receive your bill(s), please forward them to my attention at 835 N. Rush St., Chicago, IL 60611 or via fax to 312.534.8392. The Real Estate Department will attempt to settle these bills with the City. We will make a payment on your behalf and bill you accordingly. We will advise you of the amount of these payments as soon as we are able.
- Your water accounts must be metered to receive the exemption. If you have an account that is not metered, please contact Jennifer Shankie at 312.534.8791 as soon as possible.
- Your parish must enter into a water conservation plan. The Real Estate Office will work with Archdiocese parishes to implement a conservation plan.