Child Abuse Prevention Month
April Campaign Information
April Campaign Prayer Service
at the Healing Garden
located at Holy Family Parish
(1080 West Roosevelt Road, Chicago)
Friday, April 12, 2013 - 11:00 a.m.
The Office of Assistance Ministry and the Safe Environment Office along with the Healing Garden Committee will be hosting the Prevent Child Abuse Prayer Service at the Healing Garden. One of the highlights of the service will include planting the pinwheels for prevention. This symbolic gesture is designed to show the public in a very dramatic way that child abuse and neglect happen in every community and encourages each of us to focus on prevention as a part of an overall plan to break the cycle of abuse.
For those parishes and schools unable to attend the Healing Garden prayer service, we invite you to participate at your parish or school by:
- Mailing or delivering pinwheels to the Office for the Protection of Children & Youth by April 5, 2013. We will include them with the other pinwheels being planted at the Healing Garden.
- Dedicating a moment during Mass or school assembly to child abuse prevention: make an announcement, say a prayer, read a poem, or have a moment of silence.
- Planting pinwheels and hanging blue ribbons in front of your parish or school to show support.
- Having a prayer service and pinwheel garden of your own at your parish and/or school. The program for the Healing Garden Prayer Service can be found on the OPCY and Children Matter Network websites.
- Including petitions for those affected by child abuse in the Prayer of the Faithful at all Masses in April. Parishes and schools can use those Prayers of the Faithful that are found in the Healing Garden Prayer Service Booklet.
- Visit the USCCB website at www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/child-and-youth-protection/resources/child-abuse-prevention-month-resources.cfm for additional resources.
Let us know what your school or parish will be doing to show its commitment to child abuse prevention. Share with us your photos of pinwheels in the making and planting, or any event that raises awareness to preventing child abuse.
Also, let us know of other creative ways your parish or school recognizes Child Abuse Prevention month. We would love to share it on our websites and in our newsletters.
Contact Maeve Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (312) 534-8793 with your questions.
Prayer & School Bulletin Ads:
For more information on Child Abuse Prevention Month click here.